I finished my socks! That should be good news, right? Wrong! The second half of the pair is wrong, wrong, WRONG. Let’s take a look, shall we?
The anatomy of a failure
I shall start from the top arrow on down. Problem area 1: I started the heel flap too soon so when I manage to squeeze my foot into the sock, it’s too short and falls much shorter on my foot than what I wanted. I need to do more rounds of ribbing to remedy this problem.
Problem area 2: The ribbing around the arch of the foot is far too narrow as compared to the first sock. I don’t think I picked up enough stitches after turning the heel because the second sock is much narrower than the first. Also, I rewrote the ribbing and now I see that there is a difference between the two.
Problem area 3: I started the toe decreases too soon. It also looks like I was knitting at a much tighter gauge than before. That strikes me as odd because I was using the same size needles and I felt like I was more relaxed knitting this time around.
Problem area 4: This toe is far too narrow and pointy compared to the other. It also doesn’t feel as comfortable on my foot.
In whole, it’s amazing that I could squeeze my large foot into this very small sock. In general, it simply doesn’t fit. Back to the drawing board, I suppose.
For better FOs, check out Tami’s blog.
Yesterday, I thought I’d be super nice to my husband and surprise him with a cake of sorts. We had peanut butter and squares of baking chocolate so I trolled the internet for no bake peanut butter bars or home made Reeses Cups which are his favorite.
That’s when I learned that yes, there is a difference between confectioner’s sugar and regular white sugar. The pie is delicious, but uh it’s rather gritty. *sigh* Next time, I’ll make sure to have ALL ingredients on hand. Oh well, at least it’s tasty!
Remember the sock I started a while ago? I took it with me to Houston and finished it there. And then promptly broke a DPN while on vacation.
Omen? You bet! The sock came out not exactly to plan.
Can you see the problems? Let’s take a closer look, shall we?
I grafted the toe correctly but I’m assuming it was in the wrong place? Could I have done the toe decreases wrong? I don’t know! This is what happens when I’m over confident.
There are gusset holes that I didn’t close and the heel is very droopy. This was my first time using eye of partridge so I have no idea if I did it correctly. I was working with out a pattern so I was just piecing parts of it from various sock patterns.
See how droopy and weird the heel is? *sigh* This is getting classified as an “UGH” on Ravelry. If you want to point and snicker, the project page is here.
Posted in Knitting
Tagged FOs, socks, ughs
I’ve been working hard on this sampler since my husband finished playing Portal 2.
If you look closely, you’ll see that I’ve been working a little too hard.
See it yet? Take a closer look….
That’s right, I spelt management wrong. The quote is, “When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”
So not only did I get the quote wrong (it was supposed to say “When life hands you lemons, demand to see life’s manager!”) I also spelt management wrong.
It’s still a work in progress because I can’t decide if I want to put lemons, potatoes or turrets at the bottom. Apologies to my faithful readers who have no idea what I’m talking about. Portal and it’s new sequel, Portal 2, have to be the cleverest video games to come out in a while.
For more WIP Wednesday goodies, click on the banner below!
It’s more like Failure Friday here at Casa de Vanessa. On Tuesday and Wednesday I blogged about the wonderful fabric I bought and the Kindle cover I was making. I had problems from the get go and I should have taken it as an omen from the sewing gods.
Problem the first, the bobbin kept getting tangled in the machine. I popped open the sewing machine and reoiled all the parts that needed it and it was good as new.
Problem the second, I couldn’t find the lining I just cut. No biggie, my mom had some extra white fabric lying around so I tried cutting it as best as I could using her crappy and dull scissors. I keep sewing on my merry way not noticing the biggest problem.
Problem the third, the damn thing is too narrow for my Kindle! And I attached the flaps incorrectly. So I can’t measure things with a ruler nor can I use logic to put things together correctly.
So I’m going to rip out the flaps, reattach them and make myself a fancy quilting crochet hook case I guess. When life hands you lemons, I suppose. If you want to see some *real* Finished Objects, click on the banner below.