My sometimes awesome sister Maritza, gifted me a resin making kit for my birthday. Yesterday I spent some time basically inhaling fumes! Whee!
This medallion came from the Jar o’ Whimsy I purchased ages ago from Tiny Things are Cute. I also made a bracelet filled with small beads, buttons and whatnots but that’s still curing so no photos yet. I might leave that for next week, actually.
Anyway, I’m not sure what I’m going to do with this little guy. I might drill a hole (I get to use my Dremel! YAY!) in the top, stick a jump ring through it and then put it on a necklace. I did learn a few things since this was my first try.
- Have a pair of tweezers handy. It’s really hard to pick up super tiny beads with gloved hands.
- If the directions say to wear a respirator, WEAR ONE. I had the low fume kind of resin but it still was kinda smelly and made me a wee woozy.
- Think about where you’re putting things. Once the resin and hardener are mixed, it’s a race against the clock. I should have put that medallion in a differently shaped mold.
- If the mold says to spray mold release, DO IT. I was able to pop her out of her mold but it would have been much easier if I had everything done correctly.
This was a lot of fun and I’m going to do it again but with a respirator and mold release handy. I’m also going to pick up some pigments to dye the resin. Thanks, sister! You can find more details about this project on my Craftsy page.
For more FOs, check out Tami’s blog.